What is Layer 2 Tunneling Protocol?
Layer 2 Turning Protocol acts as an extension to the Point-to-point tunneling protocol. Most internet service providers use this protocol to enable the functioning of a strong virtual private network.
With the help of Layer 2 Tunneling Protocol, the two most important features are utilized, such as L2F from Cisco Systems and PPTP from Microsoft. L2TP functions as the basis of two major components, such as L2TP Access Concentrator and L2TP Network Server.
With the help of LAC, the device will physically terminate the call. On the other hand, LNS will lead to authentication of the platform across PPP streams.
The PPP refers to encapsulating the multiprotocol packet layer. It helps the user to connect securely to a network access server. It mostly makes use of a packet-switched network, thereby meeting the endpoint security. As a result, it can help to reduce extra long-distance costs.
The user needs to have a robust L2 connection to implement the tunnel across PPP frames securely. However, it is necessary to check the conditions for specific circuit termination.
Configuring L2TP on Windows
Before configuring L2TP in your Windows device, it is necessary to check the version. The device version and configuration play an important role in the secure installation.
Here’s how to configure L2TP on Windows:
- Click on the Start button. Select Settings
- Choose Network and Settings
- On the left side, click on the VPN option. Choose to add a VPN connection
- In the option of VPN provider, make sure to enter all the details of the VPN provider accurately
- Connection Name – Enter as per your convenience
- Server Name and Address – It should be a public IP. The address should be mentioned as per the Configuration tab
- Choose a VPN type of IPSec and L2TP
- Enter the username and password
- It is advisable to choose a secure connection
- Change the adapter options to hide the IP address
- Click on Connections and then choose Properties
- Enter the security type and determine all the protocols
- Configure the VPN connect
- Select Connect
It is necessary to connect the status to ensure a completely secure connection.